Thursday, July 30, 2009

Vehicles of Paris: Part 13



My series about the vehicles of Paris really can't be complete without a picture of a Velib, one of the some 20,000 bicycles for hire that are stationed all over the city of Paris. It's been two years since the program launched and it's been a big success by all accounts with over 50 million uses recorded and the expansion of the network both in town and into close-in suburban communities, although regrettably, there's also been quite a bit of vandalism and too many thefts. Use of these bikes is free for the first 30 minutes and there are hundreds of stations all over town so going point-to-point is the way to go. They even have trucks that go around each night to redistribute the bikes so that are plenty of bikes on top of Montmartre (since no one really wants to ride a bike up that hill) and in other popular venues where the station often looks like this:



But can I tell you a secret? I've never, not once, used one of these bikes. American tourists are sometimes disappointed that they can't make the system work with their chip-free American credit cards. But, no, that's not my problem. I'll be blunt: riding a bike in Paris traffic scares the crap out of me. So pedal away brave souls. I'll wave to you from the sidewalk or the bus.

5 comments:

jonnifer said...

Vivent les Vélibs!

Duchesse said...

I'm with you on that one Anne! Could never understand people who choose to use a bike in Parisian traffic! Paris is a city best enjoyed on foot. When I'm there, I want to have the luxury of looking around when I'm out and about... as opposed to looking over my shoulder!:)

Eli said...

also with you! And I come from a community that cycled everywhere - well Lincolnshire is so flat! Would never consider cycling in Paris - being a pedestrian involves taking your life in your hands Green man says cross - Green traffic light says drive!

Starman said...

American Express cards have the chip.

Aldor said...

I am not so with you. I don't use Velib but I use my own bicycle for more than two years and I enjoy it - especially during summer, when the cars are nearly all gone. With a bicycle, you can be everywhere in Paris in 30 minutes, and that's agreable, even if Paris is beautiful when walking...

Related Posts with Thumbnails